Friday, February 24, 2006

the regression of america

“I think the stars are aligned,” said House Speaker Matthew Michels, a Republican. “Simply put, now is the time.”
I think the fucking stars are aligned? Are you joking?
Why do people feel it is their personal mission to be controlling and judgemental about the decisions of others? Those people are called freaks! Or god-fearing republicans, which ever you prefer.
The arguement that it should be illegal because many women regret having an abortion is completely ridiculous. They felt strongly enough about it at the time and had every right to make that decision. Regrets happen. I regret eating 2 huge plates of pasta last night but that shouldn't make it illegal. Some people regret the person they chose to spend the rest of their life with and consequently their marriage results in a divorce. Again, it should not make it illegal. Having an abortion is a very serious decision one must make and hopefully they consider all ramifications of their actions before making any. Sure, some will have regrets but making wrong decisions is part of life. How can the state be regressing to such an extent to go back on something like this after 33 years? I once believed future generations would be more liberal and more open-minded but now that we have elected Bush into office twice, denigrated such a well-documented scientific phenomenon like evolution and are working to ban abortion I am not sure anything will shock me at this point.

1 comment:

Quetzal said...

Yea, so "the man" either tries to control women directly by making abortion illegal or indirectly by claiming that my male partner has as much of a legal right as I do in deciding whether I will have an abortion or not.....(Umm hopefully this shows up as a link)
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=1661270&blogID=78632508&Mytoken=CB03144C-129E-A473-7A999CA1AFCB943111036203