Wednesday, July 19, 2006

to the sticks


The list was going to be a long one. To start, my second cali roommate and her new child. A would-be three hours spent alone with my book was instead time with an adorable baby and her beautiful mommy. I am really excited for her.

I like it when I step off of an airplane and there is immediately someone standing there waiting to give me a hug and take me home and make fun of my hair. The drive through town was as familiar as always, which I found both refreshing and a little sad. Refreshing because it is something I can forever count on, but sad because even though structurally it looks the same and the people only aged a bit, I do not really know the place. I no longer have a home to return to in the town and I do not know what is on their minds.

We were stopped midway through town by the cop that said oof-dah and they talked politics and lazy employees and I couldn’t stop smiling at their accents. When we finally reached the end of town we still had another 45 miles to go. Just a few miles out, an enormous raccoon made an unfortunately timed attempt at crossing the highway. Dad did not even slow down as the front right tire drove directly over the poor thing. I was pretty shaken up about it and tried to get him to slow down for the next 40 minutes each time we passed another confused deer who could at any moment choose the wrong direction to flee. In total, we spotted 13 deer that night.

I remembered the time we were with the Irish and the French and the Californians and we laughed when the French said she saw a deer in the wild once.

I’m excited to be here.

2 comments:

meli said...

Right over it.

Anonymous said...

ask him about the time he yelled "SHOOT THE OTHER ONE!!!!"