They are one reason I found high school so funny. He's married now and she smokes now and I just wish we could stay in touch forever. That's just not how life works, I know.In a word, the reunion was weird. Give me two, fucking weird. It was good to see people and catch up and blah blah blah but there was a strange undertone to the entire event. There was sadness and awkwardness and the never-ending clickiness. The fun only came when we would leave those walls. Give me anyone of them under any other circumstance and it would have been great. Just not there, where someone thought it would be a good idea to regress to a time when only a small fraction could really be themselves.
Every single time I go to South Dakota I see her without even trying. We were only acquaintances but she was very excited to tell me about her new table, because it reminds her of mine. She once came with ex-stepbrother to a vegan easter dinner at my place when I had a short table and now she has one too. Moments like those always invoke smiles. I feel she is a genuine person and if you know she's not I never want to know.
I liked that I saw him at the airport when I left and that he knows both of my parents. I was surprised he did not seem happier or that he wasn't too keen on the reunion. He was always one of the well-liked types.

No comments:
Post a Comment