Wednesday, October 04, 2006

the night I slept in the rental car



We laughed. But not as much as we usually laugh. We talked. But it seemed there was not as much to say. We took pictures. But there was less to see. I don't think that guy liked me but I am sure spilling his beer in my lap was an accident. Everyone was tired so instead of me hanging out with them until morning I decided to go back to Michelle's at midnight. I had the key to the back door but I did not anticipate a chain lock and they did not anticipate me being there. I was paranoid and uncomfortable during the night and had to frequently turn on the engine to warm up. She must have thought I was crazy when I walked in at the first sign of a light in the house at 7:20am... reeking of cigarettes and beer even though I neither smoked nor drank, jeans on under my dress, wearing a coat, my shoes barely on and my hair a snarled mess. I basically walked in, made a futile attempt at particpating in a conversation and then crawled right into my bed for a nap while they went to baby swim lessons. It was uncomfortable in the car but it really beat all alternatives. I did not want to tell her but she asked so many questions she eventually figured it all out. Teen-aged Clare is screwed. She is not going to get away with anything!

No comments: