
It is a rough time of year. Mother's Day. Mom's birthday. Dad's birthday. Father's Day. But really it is rough only during the years I do anything about it. Mother's day was easy. I made three phone calls, left three voicemails. Done. Not a card was sent, not a gift was purchased, not a worthy daughter in site. And nothing has changed since Sunday, meaning Mom gets no card, no gift and a call only if she decides to answer her phone.
My mom and I are about as different as a mother and daughter can possibly be. She will always remember to send a card and be annoyingly punctual about it. I will alwaysl have every intention of sending one but under the rare circumstances I follow through, it will take me an abnormally long amount of time to purchase it and then a little longer to send it until it is ridiculously late. She is outgoing and will ask you if she can move your furniture the way it should be or tell you how you should handle any given situation - even if you've just met. I am shy and will want to say hello as I cross paths with you, but I won't. She will pay all of her bills on time and always have stamps on hand. I will get the occasional late fee and when I have stamps it will take me fifteen minutes to find them. She is so confident that when she doesn't know the answer, she'll just make it up with an air of authority about it and you'll believe her. I might have studied the subject for 8 years and still I will hestitate before I speak. When she talks she will have your full attention. When I talk you will have to say "what" four times before you've heard me. It will take her 2 seconds before she finds a new "love". It will take me an eternity and if ever it does happen it will be many years before I am convinced of this "love". When she looks in the mirror she will think she's prettier than you. When I look in the mirror I will not be able to name a single person uglier than I. She will age gracefully and look 30 when she's 50 and I'll look 35 when I'm only 27. When you say she looks more like my sister than my mom, she'll smile and say "thanks". I'll just roll my eyes.
But sometimes, when I tell you what to do and how to drive and tell you that you are being ridiculous... I will think I'm turning into my mom. And sometimes, when I can reason through a situation... I'll know I got that from her.
Happy 51.
My mom and I are about as different as a mother and daughter can possibly be. She will always remember to send a card and be annoyingly punctual about it. I will alwaysl have every intention of sending one but under the rare circumstances I follow through, it will take me an abnormally long amount of time to purchase it and then a little longer to send it until it is ridiculously late. She is outgoing and will ask you if she can move your furniture the way it should be or tell you how you should handle any given situation - even if you've just met. I am shy and will want to say hello as I cross paths with you, but I won't. She will pay all of her bills on time and always have stamps on hand. I will get the occasional late fee and when I have stamps it will take me fifteen minutes to find them. She is so confident that when she doesn't know the answer, she'll just make it up with an air of authority about it and you'll believe her. I might have studied the subject for 8 years and still I will hestitate before I speak. When she talks she will have your full attention. When I talk you will have to say "what" four times before you've heard me. It will take her 2 seconds before she finds a new "love". It will take me an eternity and if ever it does happen it will be many years before I am convinced of this "love". When she looks in the mirror she will think she's prettier than you. When I look in the mirror I will not be able to name a single person uglier than I. She will age gracefully and look 30 when she's 50 and I'll look 35 when I'm only 27. When you say she looks more like my sister than my mom, she'll smile and say "thanks". I'll just roll my eyes.
But sometimes, when I tell you what to do and how to drive and tell you that you are being ridiculous... I will think I'm turning into my mom. And sometimes, when I can reason through a situation... I'll know I got that from her.
Happy 51.

2 comments:
different you say? i was just like you when i was your age. except i would never have talked to ANY stranger, certainly would have never have gone to a movie alone much less traveled all over the country alone. dancing in a club? in front of people? never! so you are much farther along than i was at the age of (yours). you are going far and don't see it yet. wait til you are 51!!! i love it, and you, my dear, are going to kick ass!!
Melissa Melissa. It's funny that I am much like you. I call this life we have relaxing. No reason to be on top of every little thing. Ok, maybe I am a little more relaxed than I should be but whatever. You are the best sister ever. Love you
Post a Comment