I believe the year was 1994, or maybe 1995, when I got off work at 10pm on December 31st. I had no plans to celebrate the dropping of the ball and instead was in bed shortly before midnight. I still needed a New Year's resolution and believed that you need to make those before the year changes. Not feeling particularly creative and viewing the pile of cellophane from the 6 candy bars I had just consumed my resolution was born. Give up chocolate for a year. It wasn't a life altering change; if I succeeded it would not make me a better person or even a healthier person. But what the hell... I was up for a challenge. It was exactly one year I went without chocolate and never again. At the turn of the next year I counted down with an unwrapped miniature peanut butter cup in hand. It was then I decided to give up pop for a year. This one I liked and continued for nearly 2 years. Pop is just not very good and so easy to live without. It has been a while since I have made a resolution and now I feel it is time to get back at it, full force.
1. Stop purchasing clothing/shoes made with animal products.
When I first made the transition from vegetarian to strict vegetarian [whatever that is] I abided by this "rule". I was of the age where I had great passions and thought I could change the world and where extreme is always better. Gradually, I began buying sweaters with wool and shoes with leather. Initially it would be an accidental purchase of a wool sweater and then I just had to have those shoes. What it comes down to is that I got lazy. Recently I watched a video that brought tears and an uneasy stomach. I do recommend you watch it although you will hate me for saying that if you do indeed take my advice and watch. It is one of the most horrible things I have ever seen and I will never look at a big fluffy dog again without remembering. But I am in the camp where I think we should see, despite our level of uncomfort. That said, you decide. I do not need leather for my shoes, and it will be difficult but I can live without wool for my sweaters and as it is I do NOT purchase fur. The minor inconvenience is worth the cause.
2. Stop buying clothes from delias - forever.
If you read "perspective" then you know the main reason for this one. Another though, is that, although they have cute clothes, half of the items I order are not yet available and I have to wait 3 months to actually receive them. These are items from their newest catalog. It annoys me and I much prefer instant gratification. Also, I have twice returned items and never received credit for them. Due to my poor record-keeping I haven't any proof. Drat!
3. Stop online shopping - just for the year.
Again, "perspective". Shopping online is just far too convenient.
4. Climb at least once with no pre-determined buddy.
Because I enjoy sufferring? It will build character?
5. Clean out my inbox at least once/week.
6. Work out, eat less, be skinny, blah, blah, blah...
Here I am already setting myself up for failure.
7. Stop obsessing over skinniness.
Please pinch me every time I point out a skinny person.
Sunday, December 25, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
but pop is soooo good....
I told Kyle that for next year this is what would happen:
1) Drink pop/soda only when its free (like airplanes of praties or something...I think weaning myself will help)
2) DEFINATELY WORK OUT! I get fatter by the minute. My mom made me eat a whole pic this weekend...it was disgusting! I am freaking HUGE!
3) Be a nicer person...because frankly, I suck. I used to be willing to do anything for anybody and now I think I prejudge people and tend to think about myself before I do anything for somebody else. I really want to change that.
4) Volunteer
5) Be more spiritual
6) Save money....cuz I want a house.....and I think I may want to have a kid..but I want the house before the kid....and I'm getting old.....so saving money now would be good..:0)
See you soon! I hope..:0)
1) I will try hard not to harass you too much when you come back from lunch with a giant pop in hand.
2) Climb with me! [and you're not fat]
3) Okay, considering I can't think of a nicer person... shush.
4) Fun!
6) Ah ha! So you DO want babies!! Yay!
Post a Comment