Wednesday, March 28, 2007

he wore me down

When he said he would be out of town on Thursday and Friday I breathed a small sigh of relief. There was a good chance her absence would go unnoticed. An absence I was not to reveal. Only three days left of him potentially wondering of her whereabouts.

Monday morning arrived and so did he.

"Have you seen Quetzel yet today?"

"No."

"Okay."

20 minutes after they left.

"Is Quetzel here?"

"No."

"Well, N has been calling her about a grading problem. Was she around last week?"

"I didn't see her."

"Hm."

elapse 20 minutes. door opens.

"Is Quetzel in yet?"

"No."

he walks to the phone and calls her home number. no answer. I pretend to type madly as though I am unaffected.

"Well, she's not at home. I don't know what to say to N."

"I talked to the course coordinator last week and said she should try to reach her via email."

I escape the lab to meet my roommate at the university center. when I arrive back to the lab he gets up from the computer.

"Have you seen Quetzel in yet?"

"No. Do you need to use the computer? I can use my laptop."

"No, I was just waiting for you to get back to see if you have heard from her."

"Uh, I haven't seen her."

"Funny."

30 minutes later. door opens.

"She's not in yet, huh?"

"Nope."

"Hmm... maybe she is visiting with her family or something."

Blank stare.

"I just feel like if she had gone on a lengthy vacation she would have told someone."

brief but seemingly very lengthy silence

"Well she did.... She went to Australia."

"Good to know."

He must have thought I was the biggest tool. Obviously, I was withholding information. I could use the "I did not lie" card but in this case does it really make a difference? When I told her so, she said he knew exactly what was going on... He has kids, doesn't he? Yup, five of 'em.

I was afraid Quetzel would be angry I was not able to keep it a secret but instead she laughed. I did not think she would laugh.

I asked her friend what she would have done and she replied, "I would have stayed home." Now there is a solution.

[interesting length but light on interesting]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

BRAVO !!

BRAVO !!

And a thanks as well.

Quetzal said...

sorry...I suck...you were stressing as I was enjoying the surf...I suck! You should have just told him. Thank you for holding out though! I know your intentions were great...and that was very nice if you!

meli said...

no worries... it makes for a funny story, at least!