Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Lucinda goes by Lucy

It's a funny thing when kids become adults; kids you've known throughout the duration of their life. She stopped being who someone else wanted her to be and she started being herself in a way she is not afraid to speak about. When she no longer sits quietly among the grown-ups and when she reached that stage that makes her an individual. It is the phase where people who knew her as a child will give her shit about being goth when she's not goth. They just don't understand what goth is/who she is. And when they make fun of her peircings she'll roll her eyes because she knows that really they are just piercings, not a personality disorder or even a definition of self. A mere accessory.
It is the stage when the elders in your life, whom you have always respected, say racist things and you are old enough and independent enough to know that it is wrong. When she fully realizes the imperfection of family members and can joke about their poor character traits. The stage when you thought you really could not live without music and it really speaks to you louder than ever and all of your beliefs and feelings are at their extreme and your articulation is at its peak. When you think you are an adult but really you are more like a 2-year-old learning about life all over again. You are a sponge soaking up new on-your-own experiences in life and finding your place in it.
At some obscure point I stopped being there and some people are never there but there is a fun place to be.
I am happy I knew her then and I am happy I know her now.

No comments: