Saturday, January 13, 2007

vegan disadvantages

For four days I listened to their stories. I discovered he raised his granddaughter and he loved the kid who later died in a plane crash. She showed me all of her paintings and told me the story behind each fan. I saw pictures and learned how they met and when they came to this country. He taught me the two-step and I said I would visit next time I am in town. She squeezed my chin and said I was cute. I laughed a lot. I cried a little. I was happy there.

Day five was dinner at her house. In an instant, when they realized I would not eat their food because of muscle and milk and eggs, I became the freak. They wanted to know why and for how long and if it was because I was living in California. The why was tricky and the how long made them scowl and the where was unfathomable. She is 92 and in good health, they were farmers, he passed the relish tray, she cooked dinner, he just laughed. I sat there, smiling, with my orange, pretzels and olives hoping the subject would change.

She gave me dirty looks, called me rude and asked how I would cook for my husband. He said no guy would ever date me. She felt bad that she had nothing more to offer. He has heard of people like me but he has never actually seen one.

I felt like I would better fit in behind bars as a circus exhibit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

old people are extremely opinionated. they think their way is the only way. defend what you believe in. do not take it. they still talk about how much they liked you. clara can dish it out but trust me she cannot take it. i am serious about this. defend yourself. even if it means you have to sound mean. this did make for a very good story. you should be a writer. stay home, raise kids, and be rich. you have the talent. love . . . . . .

Anonymous said...

hey, different stokes for different folks. they should be happy you are different and you should be happy you are yourself. really, how boring would it be if everyone was the same? ate the same, thought the same, enjoyed the same things. boring.

charlie said...

I think that you should start eating meat again. Feeling like a circus act must be awful.