Tuesday, January 12, 2016

her laugh

It's been thirteen days. We have a landlord/housemate Susan and she has many house rules and the rules that couldn't possibly be written down to be made formal. Initially I had my concerns about this new place in which I will remain in limbo until many things fall into place. Now. Now I am feeling more comfortable and I find almost everything about Susan to be quite charming. Like how she wants everything to be used equally so she rotates all of her dishes and the towels and rags. Newly cleaned go on the bottom and the cold dishes on the top. Every time. Clean towels go on top but the one on the bottom must be fetched every Tuesday when they are washed. And how the disposable dishes used for popcorn night are washed, not tossed, because popcorn does not get too messy and as long as it smells ok, the mayo that expired in February should not be thrown away and no knives of any kind should go in the dishwasher. I am still pretty sure I am not loading the dishwasher to her standards but she hasn't kicked us out yet. I especially adore her laugh. 

Elli has become her shadow. Watching her exercise, helping her with laundry, walking to the mail. Susan reads her dozens of books daily and has given her Barbie dolls to play with. I am not thrilled about the latter. 

So here we are. I am enjoying the snow view from indoors and spending time with the kids. I am still trying to work out how to be use my days in the little free time that does not involve preparing meals, eating meals or cleaning up after meals. My life as I always wanted. 

No comments: