Tuesday, December 29, 2015

santa, and other lies

I've struggled a bit with whether or not to lead my children to believe that there is a Santa. I get that the idea of Santa is exciting for little people, but I think the same excitement can be harnessed with holiday traditions that include love, family, food, music, trees, ornaments and other cute things. So far, they've seen him in books but they've never received any gifts from him directly. I prefer to be truthful about Santa and everything else and avoid the day I have to admit I was deceiving them. However, Elli is a bit (very) resistant to my truths. When I told her the dinosaurs are extinct and explained what that means, she became very upset and cried, insisting I was wrong. Her reality consists of flying reindeer, unicorns and other magical, supernatural ideas. I no longer correct her, I listen to her fantasies with interest and allow her to share without offering my own opinions or "truths".

No comments: