Saturday, November 24, 2007

my incompetence

She said it gave her flashbacks from her childhood. Probably for her it made sense since it is likely she was at that exact repair shop. For me it just felt like childhood because that is what you did. You followed your parents around, looking at tools that you could care less about or appliance parts that you don't even really understand and every second felt like an eternity. I was not bored there with her but I did miss that feeling of really having nothing better to do. Wasting an entire day doing things that really have nothing to do with you. It did not matter that it could be boring because that panicky feeling that you should be doing your work did not exist. YOUR work. Ugh... I still hate the sound of being an adult.

Things are not easy for me. Stupid things like making a phone call or eight. I did not finish everything on my list but at least I made a dent. When he came to let me know that the phone was now working he said, "did you just move in?" I said, "No" and then explained the situation. He said, "wow. that's a first." Really? Am I the only slacker in the world? He was about 800 years old and has probably been working there for a while and I am the first person he has come across who just pays a phone bill for months without actually having phone service? Surely not. Well, bitches. Now I have phone service, and fresh oil in my car and a little less dirt on it and a doctor's appointment and a pay check in the bank. Now I need to focus my attention on having a working keyboard and grading and planning. Shit, I only have two days left!! That to-do list is still very long.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for having lunch with me